You are here
Workshop: Chronic Pain Management for Occupational Therapists
January 11, 2019
St. Paul's Hospital, Conference Room 1500
1081 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6Canada
Please note these start and end times:
- Friday, January 11th 2019 from 9:30am-5:00pm
- Saturday, January 12th 2019 from 9:00am-5:00pm
Who should attend?
- Occupational Therapists interested in developing or enhancing sound clinical skills in the assessment and treatment of clients living with complex, acute, and chronic pain.
Participants who complete the course in full will:
- Be listed in Pain BC's Find a Practitioner directory, a searchable directory that patients use to connect with health care professionals in their community. View the directory.
- Obtain 16 hours of Continuing Education credits.
- Learn practical “whole person” pain management skills that can be applied immediately in your practice as an OT.
- Receive Pain BC Certificate of Completion (emailed to participants after the workshop).
Questions about this workshop? Email us.
- At the conclusion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe the neurophysiology of pain and how it relates to OT intervention
- Explain the pain Neuromatrix theory and its implication in rehabilitation
- Recognize the clues that your client with acute pain may be developing chronic pain
- Describe acute pain management with the intention of preventing/avoiding chronicity
- Explain the importance of educating clients in pain physiology
- Explain key strategies in the self-management of pain
- Explain how to assess and treat a client in pain within the context of CMOP-E
- Cite the benefits of treatment approaches such as: CBT, ACT, MI, and PGAP
- Explain strategies to facilitate behaviour change
- Discuss how and when to use pain-related outcome measures
- Discuss how to integrate pain science and practice through real clinical examples
- Network with other OTs interested in chronic pain management and treatment and develop your community of practice support
- Early-bird for CAOT-BC members: $350 before December 21, 2018
- CAOT-BC members: $375 after December 21, 2018
- Non-members: $465
- Lunch and handouts are provided